The Innovative Cultural Advocacy Fellowship (ICA), a program of the Caribbean Cultural Center African Diaspora Institute (CCCADI), was founded in 2014. The ICA Fellowship is a noted pioneer in arts and cultural advocacy initiatives that have been an impetus of radical change in New York City. In its 7th cycle with over a 100 alumni, the Fellowship aims to increase the number of arts advocates as emerging leaders in the fields of cultural arts, public policy, and advocacy.
The Innovative Cultural Advocacy Fellowship (ICA) trains emerging arts-based professionals, transitioning into NYC cultural institutional public leadership and management, with a targeted focus to include and support persons from historically under-represented communities. A core emphasis of the Fellowship is the advancement of cultural equity.
ICA Fellows will:
- Understand the historical context of NYC's current cultural arts landscape as it relates to NYC's changing racial, ethnic and cultural communities
- Site visits at NYC arts and cultural institutions, along with networking opportunities with notable senior arts executives.
- Enhance their personal awareness, courage, clarity, and commitment regarding their purpose and promise as progressive leaders in this field
- Receive career advisement and create a professional development plan
- Be part of an active community of over a 100 passion minded art and cultural change agents
- Learn how the range of NYC's key public arts institutions work and gain access to these institutions and their leaders via site visits
- In the long-term, have gained greater understanding and confidence to take on executive leadership positions in areas of public management, cultural arts, and policy-making
- Receive certification and a generous stipend of $750 for successful program completion
Criteria: 30 to 40-year-old arts & culture based professionals (artists, curators, museum educators, teaching artists, etc); must be endorsed by a current or recent employer or mentor, and can commit to attending all monthly gatherings